Re: How to connect Midi keyboard to Lilypond?

From: Martin Tarenskeen
Subject: Re: How to connect Midi keyboard to Lilypond?
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2013 00:21:06 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 3 Oct 2013, searchfgold6789 wrote:

Things are working, but using VMPK is kind of confusing. I am not sure what
the "velocity" knob does or what the "bend" slider does. It's very difficult
to use these tools because:

Try to attach VMPK to a softsynth and you will find out what "velocity" and "bend" do soon enough. Or google for "MIDI velocity" and "MIDI pitch bend". But it's not important for use with rumor and lilypond.

- Lifting a key up even slightly causes an undesired rest to be put in
- It seems to be impossible to play in a way that rumor outputs the notes
/where you want them/ in the measure.

First study the output of

rumor --help

Options you should try for example are:
-l or --legato: gets rid of all those rests
--flat: only print notenames, not durations

If you really don't want to use --flat, you can not only connect VMPK to Rumor, but also you MUST connect Rumor to a (soft)synth like Fluidsynth: You can not enter notes correctly in the measure without a metronome reference sound.

P.S.

We warned you that just entering notes by hand is easier :-)

--

MT