Notation question - alternate endings without repeats

From: Dieter
Subject: Notation question - alternate endings without repeats
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2013 13:18:09 +0000 (UTC)

Hi All,

I was giving my partner a hand with a little project using Lilypond the other
day - setting some bagpipe finger exercises she wanted to pass on to some
young pipers.  We found the the bagpipe.ly and Svenax's bagpipe_new.ly
libraries very useful - thanks to the authors of these.

The place we came unstuck was that the exercise tune logically (or musically,
really) ends with a finger movement a real beginner might not be proficient
with.  The exercise should therefore have two alternate endings - the more
"musical" one, and the simpler one that a real beginner could use in the early
stages of their learning.

I assumed there might be something alog the lines of a volta bracket for this
situation but on searching I could only ever see these discussed in the
context of alternative endings for a repeated passage of music.

I've done some searching and have been unable to find standard notation for
alternate bars not associated with repeats described anywhere - doesn't mean
it doesn't exists of course.

Can anyone point me to how this might be notated in a "standard" way, if such
exists, and also, how that representation may be produced in Lilypond.

Thanks in advance for your time.