Re: Slur goes way too high in this passage

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Slur goes way too high in this passage
Date: Tue, 08 Oct 2013 06:56:00 +0200

ryanmichaelmcclure <address@hidden> writes:

> I'm currently typesetting a Beethoven piece for 2 oboes and Cor Anglais. I'm
> working on oboe I and I came across this problem. The slur overtop of this
> passage is incredibly high--it reminds me of Finale almost. What should I do
> to fix this? Thank you all for being so awesome!
>
> \score {
>   \relative {
>   b'32 c( b a g a b c d e f e g f e d
>   c e c g e c' g e c8) r8
>   }
> }

Seems like

\score {
  \relative {
  b'32 c-\tweak #'height-limit #0.5 ( b a g a b c d e f e g f e d
  c e c g e c' g e c8) r8

works reasonably well.  So does \tweak #'eccentricity #2 at the cost of
a slight asymmetry.

The behavior actually _jumps_ wildly between an eccentricity of 1.21 and
1.22.  With the first value, you get the large curve trying to reach the
note.  With the second value, no attempt is made reaching the note even
though the large eccentricity would better facilitate it.  To me, that
looks like a bug.

Similarly, there is a large discontinuity when height-limit moves from
0.7 to 0.8.

--
David Kastrup