RE: Ossia - Documentation Recommendation

From: Mark Stephen Mrotek
Subject: RE: Ossia - Documentation Recommendation
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2013 18:53:45 -0700

Mr. Palmer,

Thank you for your response.

Yes, compositions with various instruments involved in polytonality would have different key signatures. These cases would not be considered an example of an “ossia.” As I stated below an ossia is an alternative to an original passage. Both the original and the ossia would be for the same instrument. I cannot think of an example (my experience is with the piano) in which the ossia is in a different key than the rest of the composition.

Mark Stephen Mrotek