Re: cresc. whitespace padding

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: cresc. whitespace padding
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2013 13:50:17 +0200

EdBeesley <address@hidden> writes:

> Damnit David, I'm a musician not a programmer! In all seriousness
> though I always do my best to figure out the answer myself via the
> documentation.

Good.  Then you can tell us where the documentation falls short.  To be
exact, I reacted to your statement:

> Now when you say this could be easily turned into a
> music-function... could we assume for a second that I'm totally dumb
> and have no idea how to do this?

And my answer to that was: "That's where LilyPond's documentation could
come in handy..."

You are in obvious disagreement:

> I know I've asked a far few questions over the past week but believe
> me there are a lot that I've not posted because I've spent hours
> reading through the manual and snippets. I'm very conscious about only
> using the mailing list as a last resort instead of a short-cut to
> problems I could solve myself, and I'm sorry if I've not given that
> impression!

So let's see where 5 minutes (we are not talking hours here) with the
manual will take us.

I first look up "music function" in the Notation Reference's index and
find
<URL:http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.16/Documentation/notation/using-music-functions#index-Music-functions>

Going straight to the second section "substitution function examples"
(assuming that I am dumb and the first section "Substitution function
syntax" scares me) from there, the very first example illustrates how to
wrap a code passage taking numerical values as arguments into a music
function.

So obviously you got stuck elsewhere in your attempt to solve that
problem yourself in the hour between the time the non-parametric
solution was posted and you asked for getting a solution using a
function.

Where?  How can we improve the documentation so that anybody faced with
the same task, namely wrapping some code with parameters into a music
function, is not still floored after having been given the right
keywords?

Could we assume for a second that I'm totally clueless and have no idea
how to do this?

--
David Kastrup