Re: cresc. whitespace padding

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: cresc. whitespace padding
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2013 15:08:35 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: "EdBeesley" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Saturday, October 12, 2013 2:45 PM

David Kastrup wrote
EdBeesley &lt;

edplaysdrums@

&gt; writes:

Damnit David, I'm a musician not a programmer! In all seriousness
though I always do my best to figure out the answer myself via the
documentation.

Good.  Then you can tell us where the documentation falls short.  To be
exact, I reacted to your statement:

Now when you say this could be easily turned into a
music-function... could we assume for a second that I'm totally dumb
and have no idea how to do this?

And my answer to that was: "That's where LilyPond's documentation could
come in handy..."

You are in obvious disagreement:

I know I've asked a far few questions over the past week but believe
me there are a lot that I've not posted because I've spent hours
reading through the manual and snippets. I'm very conscious about only
using the mailing list as a last resort instead of a short-cut to
problems I could solve myself, and I'm sorry if I've not given that
impression!

So let's see where 5 minutes (we are not talking hours here) with the
manual will take us.

I first look up "music function" in the Notation Reference's index and
find
&lt;URL:http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.16/Documentation/notation/using-music-functions#index-Music-functions&gt;

Going straight to the second section "substitution function examples"
(assuming that I am dumb and the first section "Substitution function
syntax" scares me) from there, the very first example illustrates how to
wrap a code passage taking numerical values as arguments into a music
function.

So obviously you got stuck elsewhere in your attempt to solve that
problem yourself in the hour between the time the non-parametric
solution was posted and you asked for getting a solution using a
function.

Where?  How can we improve the documentation so that anybody faced with
the same task, namely wrapping some code with parameters into a music
function, is not still floored after having been given the right
keywords?

Could we assume for a second that I'm totally clueless and have no idea
how to do this?

--
David Kastrup

I'm sensing a certain level of hostility here which I don't think is
completely deserved....

I don't think it was intended. The problem is that the documentation for Lilypond is generally excellent and occasionally useless. Regular contributors get a little tired of users who can't be bothered to read the bits that are excellent, and instead ask here (often repeatedly asking questions that are trivially solved with a quick R of TFM). David was at pains to request suggestions on how to improve an aspect of the documentation that you have found useless for your purposes.

Has anyone ever broached the topic of a subscription "help-line" forum or
something like that? If there was a way I could pay a subscription fee and
then get suggested snippets like the above without having to spend time
trying to work it out first I would sign up immediately. This way I wouldn't
have to feel guilty about asking a question and people with superior
knowledge would get more than just a thank you for their time...

http://lilypond.org/sponsoring.html

--
Phil Holmes