ChordNames in Staff context

From: Robert Schmaus
Subject: ChordNames in Staff context
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2013 17:45:39 +0200

Hello Ponderers,

I moved from Lily 2.16 to 2.17.25 recently. Some days ago, I had to recompile one of my scores from the pre-2.17 era (and I should probably mention that I almost exclusively write jazz scores, i.e. "lead sheets".

The compiling resulted in hundreds of errors (after applying convert-ly). It took some time to figure out, that the problem was the statement

\context {
    \Staff
    \accepts "ChordNames"
}

in the score block. A google search turned up this conversation from March 2013 which took place on the lilypond-bugs list:
http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/programming-error-while-inserting-quot-ChordNames-quot-in-quot-Staff-quot-td143559.html

In his first reply to the OP, David Kastrup asks the question "Why would you want to have "ChordNames" internal to a Staff?"

I would like to give an answer to that: because that is a rather common notation practice with jazz lead sheets, appearing e.g. in the following situations:

- the solo chords differ from the chords used in the theme
- the theme actually *contains* passages which are without melody (eg for free soloing within the theme)
- the theme chord progression contains "as written" passages

I can provide examples for all of those cases (and maybe there are more cases) but if I attached them, the mail would get too large (>100K) and not get through ... but I can attach one ...

needless to say that I used that technique extensively in my scores, and I would be rather sad to see it die. May I ask what the reasons were for removing that technique?

On that discussion on the lilypond-bug list, a solution

\layout {
   \context {
     \ChordNames
     \remove "Axis_group_engraver"

is mentioned. that solution works well for the chords which are inside a Staff context, but it ruins the chord layout which is inside the ChordNames context itself. so that's no solution, really. are there any suggestions how the old behaviour can easily be restored? I'd rather avoid complicated scheme solutions (I couldn't produce those anyway) which will probably be rather sensitive to all sorts of things/changes in lp etc ...

hoping for the best,
Robert