Re: "Floating" markup

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: "Floating" markup
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2013 23:25:10 +0200

2013/10/15 James Worlton <address@hidden>:
> On Tue, Oct 15, 2013 at 3:16 PM, Jim Long <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Oct 15, 2013 at 09:04:13AM -0500, James Worlton wrote:
>> >
>> > This solution is also kind of hacky, but it looks like it may do more or
>> > less what you want. It also scales pretty well to other staff sizes. I'm
>> > not sure how to slide the staff names to the right, however:
>>
>> This slides the instrument name to the right and slightly up:

>>       \new Staff ="staff" \with {
>>         \remove Time_signature_engraver
>>         \override InstrumentName.X-offset = #-4
>>         \override InstrumentName.Y-offset = #1
>>         instrumentName = \markup { \vspace #1.5
>>           \center-column { \italic "Count:"
>>                            \vspace #2
>>                            \line { \italic "Sticking:" }
>>           }
>>         }
>>       }
>>

> Or if you're on 2.16, the syntax is \override InstrumentName #'X-offset =
> #-4 etc.
> Thanks for this. I should have delved more deeply into InstrumentName
> attributes.
>
> James W.

Why not use stanza (and SpacingSpanner #'spacing-increment instead of
NoteHead #'extra-spacing-width):

\version "2.16.2"

# (set-global-staff-size 30) % yep, 30!

count =
\lyricmode {
   \set stanza = \markup \normal-text "Count: "
   \repeat unfold 2 { "1" "2" "3" "4" }
}

sticking =
\lyricmode {
   \set stanza = \markup \normal-text "Sticking: "
   \repeat unfold 2 { R L R L }
}

stickingII =
\lyricmode {
   %\set stanza = \markup \normal-text "StickingII: "
   \repeat unfold 2 { L R L R }
}

\score {
    <<
      \new Staff ="staff" \with { \remove "Time_signature_engraver" }
        \new Voice ="one" {
            \clef percussion
            \override Score.SpacingSpanner #'spacing-increment = #2
            d'4 d' d' d'
            \newSpacingSection
            \override Score.SpacingSpanner #'spacing-increment = #4
            d' d' d' d'
        }

      \new Lyrics \with { alignAboveContext = "staff" }
      \lyricsto "one" \count
      \new Lyrics \lyricsto "one" \sticking
      \new Lyrics \lyricsto "one" \stickingII

}