compilation error when using stemlet over rests

From: Gilberto Agostinho
Subject: compilation error when using stemlet over rests
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2013 16:10:18 -0700 (PDT)

Hello all,

I am getting an error when trying to compile the following code:

\version "2.17.28"
{
  \override Staff.Stem.stemlet-length = 0.75
  \clef percussion
   a,8->[ r8  c''8 r8 a,8 r8 c''8]
}

The compiler outputs the following message: Exited with return code
-1073741819

I think I kind of figured out what is happening here. Apparently, there is
some conflict between the position of the rests and the stemlets I am trying
to use. This is due to the fact that the gap between the notes in the code
above allow knee beaming. If one adds the following line to the code it will
work well:

\override Beam.auto-knee-gap = ##f

I also noted that in some similar cases LilyPond is able to lower the rests
further down when dealing with the kneed beams, thus allowing enough space
for the stemlets and so everything works well:

\version "2.17.28"
{
  \override Staff.Stem.stemlet-length = 0.75
  \clef percussion
   a,8->[ r8  c''8 a,8]
}
{
  \override Staff.Stem.stemlet-length = 0.75
  \override Beam.auto-knee-gap = ##f
  \clef percussion
   a,8->[ r8  c''8 a,8]
}

But this clearly isn't the case on my first minimal example above. So well,
though I already found the solution to my problem (I would not want to use
kneed beams anyway), I though I should share this problem here in the
mailing list, in case someone considers it to be a bug.

Take care,
Gilberto