Re: Lyrics to hymn - new user

From: Garrett McGilvray
Subject: Re: Lyrics to hymn - new user
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2013 17:54:57 -0500

On Oct 13, 2013, at 8:44 PM, Carl Peterson <address@hidden> wrote:

> To your specific issue, what you would do is use skips to get the notes where
> they need to be. For instance, if you were to define variables outside the
> score block for the parts,
>
> sopVerse = { <c' g'>4 <c' f'> <c' e'> \stemUp d' c'2 \stemNeutral <c' g'> }
> altoVerse = { \stemDown s2. c'4 c'2 s2 }
>
> This would have three beats chorded, then two sets of notes separated, then
> the last stack chorded.

Carl,
I've now had a chance to practice following the examples you have given me
(both sets), and now I understand how to do what I need to do. Thank you for
taking the time to answer my question and give me an example of how it will
work.

And thanks also to the several who gave their thoughts to whether I should
reply to all. This is indeed a very helpful community of people. I'm coming
from a background in occasional usage of Finale, and although it seems weird to
move away from "the real thing" (a very expensive app I paid for) for this free
and text-based solution, the truth is that I'm finding that the results are
just better and require a lot less fighting to get right, and all that thanks
to a community of people who are doing it out of the goodness of their hearts.
Thanks to all: those who program, support, and contribute to LilyPond and
Frescobaldi, and to the community of helpful users.