Re: Lyrics to hymn - new user

From: Garrett McGilvray
Subject: Re: Lyrics to hymn - new user
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2013 16:55:05 -0500

On Oct 12, 2013, at 10:25 PM, Carl Peterson <address@hidden> wrote:
So this would be your basic setup:

\score {
   \new Staff = "top" {
    << \new Voice = "sopVerse" { } % voice for verse melody and combined alto
         \new Voice = "altoVerse" { } % voice for verse alto lines that require separate stem, such as "days" on line 2

    << \new Voice = "sopChorus" { } % voice for chorus melody and combined alto
         \new Voice = "altoChorus" { } % voice for chorus alto lines that require separate stem, particularly "gently home" at end

  }
  \new Staff = "bottom" {
    << \new Voice = "tenVerse" { } % voice for verse tenor lines requiring separate stems
         \new Voice = "bassVerse" { } % voice for verse bass and combined tenor stems

    << \new Voice = "tenChorus" { } % voice for chorus tenor lines requiring separate stems
         \new Voice = "bassChorus" { } % voice for chorus bass and combined tenor stems

You'll then associate your lyrics with the proper voices.

Oh dear, I did some testing yesterday, and I thought I had it figured out following Carl's model above, but today I tried adding lyrics, and I get an error: " programming error: Moment is not increasing.  Aborting interpretation." I have tried to make a sample following the model above, and for simplicity's sake I have brought it down to a single clef. Try this and it will work beautifully (I'm on 2.16.2 and Mac OS 10.8.5) :

\version "2.16.2"

sopVerse = \relative c' {
  \time 3/4
  \voiceOne
  c4^"Verses" <c d> <c e>
}

altoVerse = \relative c' {
  \voiceTwo
  c4 s2
}

sopChorus = \relative f' {
  \voiceOne
  f4^"Chorus" <f g> <f a>
}

altoChorus = \relative f' {
  \voiceTwo
  f4 s2
}

\score {
  \new Staff = "top" \relative c' {
    <<
      \new Voice = "sopVerse" { \sopVerse }
      \new Voice = "altoVerse" { \altoVerse }
    % \new Lyrics \lyricsto "sopVerse" { one two three }

    <<
      \new Voice = "sopChorus" { \sopChorus }
      \new Voice = "altoChorus" { \altoChorus }
    % \new Lyrics \lyricsto "sopChorus" { four five six }

That works like you would expect, but uncomment the two "\new Lyrics" lines and it will cause the error. Is there something wrong with the way it is laid out? I tried really hard to mimic Carl's model, and I can't find that I'm missing anything.