Re: Lyrics to hymn - new user

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: Lyrics to hymn - new user
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2013 09:46:56 +0200

2013/10/17 David Kastrup <address@hidden>:
> Carl Peterson <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> With my template system, most hymns take me 1/2 an hour at most, and
>> probably 85% of that is music input, 10% of it is linking the template
>> files together, and 5% of that is fixing input errors.
>
> So here is the challenging question: what would be required to have a
> hymn typesetter be able to look at the documentation of LilyPond, and
> start typesetting hymns with the delivered doc and styles within an
> hour?

Just my 2ct (don't have time to elaborate in detail): i believe we
lack a condensed quick-start tutorial. Learning Manual is simply too
long - i imagine that at least 50% of newcomers willing to try
LilyPond turn away when they see that they have to read a 150-page
document first, *and then they'll have to use 800-page-long NR*.  This
translates to "at least half day of work until i have any idea how to
use it, and then a week until i'm able to do something useful".

I believe we need something like this:
http://lilypond-stuff.1065243.n5.nabble.com/file/n5705620/LilyPond_introduction.pdf
(it's in Polish, but simply look at the examples).  This is 6 pages
long, about 30 min reading (measured with a watch), and gives one
almost all information needed.

I could translate it later if there is interest.

Janek