Re: New, more powerful version of \shape!

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: New, more powerful version of \shape!
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2013 09:13:57 -0400

Hi Janek,

> Could you send me a few examples of the old behavior (lilypond code,
> lilypond output, documentation) so that i could quickly estimate the
> difficulty of the task?

Unfortunately, the docs and download archive only goes back to v2.6, and I'm
pretty sure we lost Slur #'attachment in v2.4.2, if not earlier.

Here's a search of the list (showing others who feel/felt the same way as I did
when the feature was withdrawn):
<http://lists.gnu.org/archive/cgi-bin/namazu.cgi?query=slur+attachment&submit=Search!&idxname=lilypond-user&max=20&result=normal&sort=score>

The old behaviour was, for example,

    \override Slur #'attachment = #'(head . stem)

to force the slur to go from the [left-hand] notehead to the [right-hand] stem
tip.

In a new implementation it could, I suppose, simply calculate the corresponding
positions and modify Slur.positions accordingly. In any case, a setting like
this would save a huge amount of manual effort and trial&error.

BONUS: I would love for something like the following: "stem" is a constant -1,
"head" is a constant +1, so one could use

     \override Slur #'attachment = #'(L . R)

where L and R are numbers representing the position ***relative to 0, which is
the center of the stem***.

Does all that make sense?

Thanks,
Kieren.