Re: Lyrics to hymn - new user

From: Carl Peterson
Subject: Re: Lyrics to hymn - new user
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2013 09:44:30 -0400

On Fri, Oct 18, 2013 at 9:12 AM, Eduardo Silva <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi, Carl. I like your sample. What do you do to make the verses left aligned (and possibly shifted) at the start of a new system? Do you do it manually? I know one could do it fairly easy if at the start of every new verse in the lyrics one could put the directive to align the syllable to the left.
I'm looking forward to learning more about your workflow with typesetting hymns, if you ever share it, especially your customized part-combine.

Cheers,

Eduardo

Someone on the list (I can't remember who, precisely) wrote a macro that allows one to left-align all the lyric syllables at an arbitrary musical point. It looks at all the syllables at that point, figures out the longest one (as typeset), centers it, and left aligns all the other syllables relative to the longest one. Search the archive for \tagIt (that's the name of the macro that was created) and you should get close to it. You need 2.17.something to use, since it uses David's friendlier way of referring to properties (Something.something, instead of Something #'something), but it can be translated to pre 2.17 references (I did this when I first used it, since I was using 2.16 at the time.

This is one of the reasons for the barCheck voice. I use it to specify where to align syllables, so that I don't have to clutter my lyrics or assume that the line begins at a certain point. For the example I posted, this is the \barCheckVerse definition:

barCheckVerse = {
\time 3/4 \key d \major \partial 4
\tagIt s4 s2. s2 s4 s2. s2 \bar "" \break
\tagIt s4 s2. s2 s4 s2. s2 \bar "" \break \spb
\tagIt s4 s2. s2 s4 s2. s2 \bar "" \break
\tagIt s4 s2. s2 s4 s2. s2 \bar "|."
}

the \spb macro allows me to define an page break if I am outputting to a slide layout. In my global include, it is defined as { }, but in my slide layout header, it is defined as { \pageBreak }.

I am attaching my altered part-combiner.scm file. The essential difference is that the parameter that defines how large an interval between two voices is before it separates them (in automatic mode) is reversed so that instead of breaking intervals greater than an octave (or whatever it was set to), it breaks intervals less than a third. I have some tweaks that I didn't include in my sample to manipulate slurs so that by default, slurs are doubled (for when voices combine), but are single slurs in the correct direction when the voices separate.

When I find time, I'll work on creating a clean git repository to house the basic template/framework I've developed.

Carl