Re: 2.17 documentation

From: Gilberto Agostinho
Subject: Re: 2.17 documentation
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2013 20:11:04 +0200

Hi Francisco,

I am well aware of everything you wrote about, and my suggestion would be to rename it to "2.17 since 2.16" as you say, and then change it back to "2.18 since 2.16" when that version is released. I just find it might confuse people if they come across a page talking about a version of a software that still does not exist (and particularly when this page in question is under the 2.17 documentation, as you rightly pointed out).

Take care,
Gilberto

On Fri, Oct 18, 2013 at 8:00 PM, Francisco Vila <address@hidden> wrote:
2013/10/18 Gilberto Agostinho <address@hidden>:
> Hi all,
>
> I came across the following page of LilyPond's documentation now (
> http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.17/Documentation/changes-big-page.html ) and
> its title reads "New features in 2.18 since 2.16". I think it was probably
> meant to be "2.17" instead of "2.18", am I right? Unless someone released a
> version 2.18 and is keeping it secret from me :)

2.17 is unstable and will become eventually the next stable release.
Right? The changes page is intended to tell what changes 2.18 has
since 2.16 and it is not finished until 2.18 is a reality. I agree in
that, given 2.18 does not exist, the page actually shows changes of
2.17, but you will also agree in that 2.17 is not recommended for
general adoption, instead of hiding the page until 2.18 comes out, we
show it and leave it prepared to serve as an actual 2.18 page.

Or, we could name it "2.17 since 2.16" to be clearer, and change this
to 2.18 on its release. That would indeed be clearer because the page
is under lilypond.org/doc/v2.17/ .

--
Francisco Vila. Badajoz (Spain)
www.paconet.org , www.csmbadajoz.com