Re: Fix temporary polyphony "for good" (was 'Re: Ties in complex polypho

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Fix temporary polyphony "for good" (was 'Re: Ties in complex polyphony')
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2013 16:00:48 +0200

> split =
> #(define-music-function (parser location music1 music2)
>    (ly:music? ly:music?)
>    #{ << { \voiceOne $music1 \oneVoice }
>          \context Voice = "2" { \voiceTwo $music2 } >>
>    #})
>
> (n.b. According to this thread
> <http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2013-03/msg00166.html>, this
> code now correctly handles repeatchord, etc.)
>
>> I am hauling this one in quite slowly. […]
>> the code base is not yet where this would be trivial to do.
>
> Fair enough — the \split function will have to do for now.
> Any use making it (and maybe its variants) part of the regular distro?

No.  Too limited, too hackish.  It's fine describing something like that
in the documentation for polyphony, but as a "blackbox" function it is
far too unsymmetric and unflexible (where to put context mods?) to be
part of the music function curriculum.

That's example or snippet quality and usefulness, not more.

--
David Kastrup