Re: No progress messages on GUI under Windows 7

From: Eluze
Subject: Re: No progress messages on GUI under Windows 7
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2013 15:14:33 -0700 (PDT)

Phil Holmes-2 wrote
>> Sirs:
>>
>> Yes, gentlemen, I'm listening. No, I am not getting all the answers to my
>> questions, but I have some new information. BTW, I don't understand the
>> two messages that (1) Eluze can't reproduce my problem with the newest
>> version of Frescobaldi (2.0.11?) and (2) Phil Holmes tells me the
>> behaviour is by design. Which is it?
>>
>> In Windows 7 64-bit, with UAC (user account control) on, I can get
>> progress output only (A) if the GUI program is "run as administrator"
>> (even when logged in on the administrator account, which is curious), or
>> (B) if logged in as administrator, running in compatibility mode also
>> works, but not if logged in on a regular account.
>
> I'm taking it that your reference to the "GUI program" is the LilyPond
> mode -dgui, which is intended to produce minimal output to the screen,
> writing it instead to a logfile.  That is the design behaviour of that
> mode.
> If it's Frescobaldi that is the "GUI program", then I have no experience
> and
> can't help.

@Phil: do we really need a new thread for this?
@Jeff: please _always_ reply to the list and not to individual participants
(you can always cc them, but that's probably not needed)

@Jeff: I took it from your post that you're using a GUI like Frescobaldi
(2.0.11 seems to be the newest release!?) and there I get the mentioned
LilyPond.log

starting LilyPond from a command line either as /lilypond -dgui/ or
/lilypond-windows/ puts the messages to a log file.

starting /lilypond/ only will display the messages in the console.

if there are such problems as you describe with uac or administrator rights
I would un- and re-install LilyPond  from zero - LilyPond does not need
administrator rights to be run (only to be installed in C:\Program files...
) - and also make sure the files you are LilyPonding are not in a
administrator (write-)accessible folder.

Eluze