Re: Mandatory or a cautionary accidental?

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Mandatory or a cautionary accidental?
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2013 11:17:37 +0200

Am 22.10.2013 11:09, schrieb Simon Bailey:
On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 10:42 AM, Urs Liska <address@hidden> wrote:
Rereading David's post I realize I haven't completely understood him yet.
First he says it's mandatory then cautionary, responding to different parts
of my message.
So obviously I'm still not really clear about it.
i think i boils down to, "put the sharp in if you want to and don't
bother what you're calling it."

this is a case where i'd normally play a gis, then realise there's a
natural at the beginning of the measure, then become confused and then
try to work out what's correct from situational analysis.

Exactly, and there's also the natural in the vocal line, which makes it even
more confusing.
i assumed that came from a tie beforehand (which doesn't make sense
given the lyrics). :) like i said, monophonic guy... :D

i always try to get parts which are as least confusing as possible.
when re-engraving, this may mean moving away from how it was
originally engraved, making the typesetting work somewhat more
editorial (why else would we be re-engraving though?).

Actually I _do_ have the editor's hat and not the engraver's on in this
situation.
As a performer I know that I want a sharp in that place.
But as an editor I have to decide whether I am adding a cautionary
accidental or whether I am 'correcting an error' of the original edition ;-)
it's your call then. but call it, "clarifying an inconclusive
situation" of the original edition. ;) the music in the original is
almost certainly formally correct, just unclearly notated.

BTW we decided to use cautionary accidentals _without_ parentheses in this
edition, because
a) the original edition did so too
b) we are heavily modifying the OE's decision in this respect which would
c) result in a score completely flooded with parentheses, which wouldn't
help _anyone_.
When we add missing mandatory accidentals they are parenthesized, however.
We know this differs from general practice, but anything else would be soo
ugly - and of course we have documented it sufficiently.
ah, ok. the snippet you posted above _does_ look really good. is the
slur from d, (LH beat 1) to g'

gis' ! Haha :-)

(RH beat 3) original lilypond or
tweaked?

According to 'git blame' Janek applied a \shape to that slur on 2013-01-02.

Urs

regards,
sb