Re: id's for svg elements

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: id's for svg elements
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2013 11:11:13 +0100

Bric <address@hidden> writes:

> On 10/27/2013 03:29 AM, David Kastrup wrote:
>
>> I sometimes have difficulty distinguishing sarcasm from enthusiasm.  At
>> any rate, the manuals should by now contain a number of good leads.  How
>> far you get with them without additional help really depends on your
>> general problem solving and computing skills.
>>
>> If your main interest are classic and ancient languages, you're not
>> likely to run into anything you perceive as worryingly difficult.  If
>> you are a computer science major, you might encounter some stumbling
>> blocks.
>
> The above is sarcasm or enthusiasm?

Experience.

> Not a comp sci major, but I've dabbled in Sanskrit (fairly
> enthusiastically, while that lasted). Will that impede my getting
> intimate with the "grob properties" and lilypond scm call-backs?

Not at all.  I consider the ability to spend hours of self-motivated
focus on an intellectual challenge to be more important than the
exposure to some computer language.  You'll find programmers citing the
difference between C and Scheme as a major hurdle for learning how to
work LilyPond.  Yet it's ridiculous as compared to the linguistic,
structural and cultural differences for reading and analyzing Sanskrit
as compared to a modern Indogermanic language.

> Wow. Truly, lilypond seems to be a work of art, code-wise, with
> massive ability to intervene and modify anything at any level, from
> what you guys have said here.

Well, it is a living work of art, and arguably not always worked with
the best brushes.

>> At any rate, the user lists are rather helpful resources as well.
>>

> This user list must be in the top 99 percentile in terms of quickness,
> thoroughness, and effectiveness of response.

It's definitely one of LilyPond's assets.

--
David Kastrup