Re: latest source (was Re: id's for svg elements)

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: latest source (was Re: id's for svg elements)
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2013 11:21:53 +0100

Bric <address@hidden> writes:

> On 10/27/2013 03:07 AM, Mike Solomon wrote:
>> (PS: how is it that you have 2.17.30, when the latest version is
>> 2.17.29 ?  http://download.linuxaudio.org/lilypond/source/v2.17/ )
>>

>> I build LilyPond from source, and the current version in current
>> master is 2.17.30.
>
> uuuh... so did /I/, from 2.17.29.  But the above link to source tar
> balls is the most recent source I see.  There's no 2.17.30 there.
>
> When I go to the development and unstable source page, I still only
> see 2.17.29 as the latest:
> http://lilypond.org/development.html
>
> When I google — [ lilypond "2.17.30" ]  — I get links external to
> lilypond.org, and just documentations and forums.

If you build from source tarballs, the step to building from a checkout
of the development repository is actually minor.  Developer releases
occur in a 2-week pattern usually, without any particular relation to
code quality (apart from the development process needing to compile for
a number of different platforms and older compiler versions, so it can
be delayed by requiring some urgent fixes).

It depends on how much you are tracking current changes and developments
whether closing this 2-week gap is important to you.  If you find that a
number of bug fixes or developments occur in response or cooperation
with your reports of current problems, cutting short that 2-week
feedback cycle might come handy.  And a checked out repository makes it
quite easier to contribute patches if you find you can improve on
LilyPond or its documentation.

--
David Kastrup