Re: [Frescobaldi] Re: Frescobaldi Preview Modes

From: Wilbert Berendsen
Subject: Re: [Frescobaldi] Re: Frescobaldi Preview Modes
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2013 11:36:38 +0100

op 29-10-13 10:06, Urs Liska schreef:
Am 29.10.2013 09:49, schrieb Wilbert Berendsen:
Dear friends,

some people asked for a simple way to disable the preview debug modes in current git (2.0.12dev) for a while without unselecting all the checkboxes, but keeping the point and click links (i.e. the good old Preview mode). Also some wished that point and click could be disabled for a while, while keeping some preview debug options, hence the maybe somewhat confusing option "Disable Point and Click links" in the preview mode panel.

What do you think of a third main mode:
- Preview mode (just point and click, as it has been)
- Publish mode (no point and click)
- Debug mode: this mode listens to the settings in the Debug mode panel.

Also settings like: Verbose and English Messages (currently in Preferences) could move to the debug panel.

The debug panel should get a title like "Debugging options".

The custom engrave dialog and the LilyPond preferences page can be simplified a little then.

Shall I do it? Please give me green light :)

This sounds good, I like the conceptual separation of Preview and Debug mode.
But I have one question: How would Debug mode relate to point-and-click?
Janek's request was to compile in Debug mode (as of your new suggestion) and be able to switch point-and-click independently from this.

My suggestion [if that's not what you intended anyway] is to have a Point-and-Click option on the Debug panel (the contrary of the current way to _disable_ point-and-click). So this would be a checkbox that is usually checked but can be unchecked on demand.

Indeed! And also checks for verbose mode and maybe english messages (although I'll keep that last one also in the prefs, I presume some people prefer the english LilyPond messages)
In addition I suggest adding a tool button on the panel to compile in debug mode. While of course shortcuts are most convenient to trigger compilation it is rather probable that one is on the panel already before compiling.

Yes, I also thought of this. I will also make a menu action that could be set to a shortcut. But the same action will be put as a button on the debug mode panel.
If you start doing that I will keep my hands off from that area for a while. (Git is cool but if one can help preventing conflicts ...)

I will do it. I already did some reorganization to make multiple mainwindows with different debug mode settings working correctly.

Thanks!
Wilbert

--
Wilbert Berendsen