Re: Frescobaldi Preview Modes

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Frescobaldi Preview Modes
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2013 11:49:19 +0100

Wilbert Berendsen <address@hidden> writes:

> Op Tue, 29 Oct 2013 21:58:03 +0100
> David Kastrup <address@hidden> schreef:
>
>> How about "Inspect"?
>
> Yes that is better than "Draft". But has "Debug" really a sort of
> negative connotation?

Like "Draft", it has the wrong connotations.  While a "Debugger" offers
indeed data inspection as one part of its operation, the most important
aspect is the ability to trace program flow.  Also debugging involves
analyzing the internal data and control flow of a program rather than
its output.

This is crucial enough that there are expressions like "post mortem
debugging" for analyzing a core dump.

> When we get drag-editing etc. in the music view then we'd certainly
> change the name to something like "Advanced mode".
>
> Currently I think "Debug" suits best.

I don't.  Debugging, like its name suggests, involves the detection and
removal of bugs.  What you listed in this category, however, is mainly
intended to help with _tweaking_ parameters rather than finding and
fixing the cause of errant behavior.

--
David Kastrup