Re: Thoughts about creating Stack Exchange page?

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: Thoughts about creating Stack Exchange page?
Date: Sat, 02 Nov 2013 08:02:21 +0100 (CET)

>> I am also totally up for this idea as well.
>
> What's wrong with this list?  Everybody wants to take his LilyPond
> business to the web interface of his choice that takes a lot of
> additional work over just reading and typing text and further
> dilutes the LilyPond knowledge.

I second that.  We have a central knowledge place (contrary to, say,
C++ or general algorithmical questions), and scattering that is not
beneficial at all.  Of course, we are using an old-school e-mail list
instead of the super-duper web interface 6.0 which might be unusual to
all the kids outside.  However, so is lilypond itself, which doesn't
have a nifty GUI...

I really like StackExchange!  However, given that web possibilities
exist to search and access the lilypond mailing lists, and to ask
questions using gmane, I think it is not useful to set up a new forum.
Just consider a complicated question that nobody on StackExchange can
answer directly: Eventually, someone would step forward and ask the
very question on the lilypond-user (or lilypond-devel) list, then
report back to StackExchange.  What a waste of time and resources.

    Werner