Re: Thoughts about creating Stack Exchange page?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Thoughts about creating Stack Exchange page?
Date: Sat, 02 Nov 2013 18:09:16 +0100

Paul Morris <address@hidden> writes:

> janek.lilypond wrote
>> Q&A sites like StackExchange are better for sharing Q&A knowledge than
>> mailing lists because they allow to edit information, update it,
>> remove duplicates, and make order.
>
> I think this is a good point.  The mailing list is sufficient and fine, but
> it's probably not optimal for organizing a Q&A-type knowledge base that (1)
> makes it easy to find definitive and best answers to (often very common)
> questions, and that (2) can be edited, improved, and evolve over time with
> different versions of LilyPond, etc.

Uh, we do have a manual that can be edited, improved, and evolve over
time with different versions of LilyPond...

> Apparently it allows you to answer by email: "You can use Shapado
> without leaving your favorite mail client, just subscribe to people or
> tag and you will receive your question by mail so you can just answer
> from there."

As I already stated: I think the medium of a mailing list is fine, but
an archive with "community-driven" indexing, sorting and scoring of
articles and/or authors might go a long way towards making already
discussed information easier to find in case it has not made it into the
proper documentation for some reason.

--
David Kastrup