Re: Thoughts about creating Stack Exchange page?

From: Paul Morris
Subject: Re: Thoughts about creating Stack Exchange page?
Date: Sat, 2 Nov 2013 14:24:46 -0700 (PDT)

David Kastrup wrote
> Uh, we do have a manual that can be edited, improved, and evolve over time
> with different versions of LilyPond...

Right, but formal documentation is not the same as more informal
Q&A/support, and they have different levels of editing
accessibility/difficulty and quality expectations.  I was just agreeing with
Janek that one of the benefits of these other ways of doing Q&A support is
how they can be edited and organized.  But the mailing list is fine, and it
has done a great job of allowing a supportive community to thrive around
LilyPond.

David Kastrup wrote
> As I already stated: I think the medium of a mailing list is fine, but
> an archive with "community-driven" indexing, sorting and scoring of
> articles and/or authors might go a long way towards making already
> discussed information easier to find in case it has not made it into the
> proper documentation for some reason.

That sounds like a nice improvement to me.  I was just mentioning, for the
record, an alternative to the closed-source proprietary service of
StackExchange, in case it might be of interest to anyone, in this context or
another, now or later on.

Best,
-Paul