Bar numbers position

From: Gilberto Agostinho
Subject: Bar numbers position
Date: Sat, 2 Nov 2013 14:28:49 -0700 (PDT)

Hello all,

Today, while searching for scores at Mutopia, I came across this one
produced in LilyPond 2.9.9:

http://www.mutopiaproject.org/ftp/BachJS/BWV849/bwv849b/bwv849b-a4.pdf
http://www.mutopiaproject.org/ftp/BachJS/BWV849/bwv849b/bwv849b.ly

What intrigued me here is the position of the bar numbers. As far as I could
tell, there is no tweak of the bar number position in that code, and yet
they seem to be positioned slightly to the right when compared to the
current version of LilyPond. When compiling the same code with LilyPond
2.17.29, I get the usual look of bar numbers being anchored exactly to the
left of the first vertical line of a system (I don't know how to call it,
but I guess you all know what I mean).

Still on this subject: the other day I was showing some of my LilyPond
scores to a professor of music who works in a publishing house, and he said
that what stroke him immediately was the position of the bar numbers. He
thinks that they should be to the right of the already mentioned vertical
line (as a side note, he was very impressed with the quality of LilyPond's
output and its font).

So my question(s) is(are): why there was a change in the bar number position
between these two LilyPond versions? And why the decision of having them to
the left and not to the right of this vertical line? Does anyone know if
there is any standards related to this?

And in case anyone is wondering, I do know how to tweak the bar numbers. I
am not looking for a "solution" here, I just wanted to discuss this subject.

Take care,
Gilberto