Re: modular "markup" and arguments

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: modular "markup" and arguments
Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2013 19:55:21 +0100

The key to what you want to achieve is called "music function"

Bric <address@hidden> schrieb:
Hi, all

I was pleasantly astounded that lilypond allows for things like

boo = { \once { \override NoteHead.color = #red } }

and then "mark up" notes sporadically, with \boo cis' .... .... \boo d

But here's what I want (give me an inch, I'll want a lightyear!)

I want the ability to distribute the effect of "\boo" to a SET of notes.

Such as \boo { dis' e' fis' g' }

where all the four notes are affected by boo.

I tried using

boo = { \override NoteHead.color = #red }

and then \boo dis' e' fis' g \revert

but that, of course, is incorrect syntax.

So what gives? Such a wonderful thing as a "modular markup" and yet
it's a hair away from being hyperglorious only because you cannot
parametrize it, or make it distributive to a set.

By the way, can someone please tell me what the above is called, in
lilypond jargon.

I also realize that in lilypond, the term "markup" is reserved for text,
and I think that's unfortunate, because it's a broader concept, that
would include the phenomenon I am refferring to here.

It would be amazingly cool if you could feed parameters into \boo

This would then be an awesome hybrid of markup+algorithmic syntax

(am I off my rocker!??)

lilypond-user mailing list