Donating to LilyPond development (was: lilypond - bitcoin donations?)

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Donating to LilyPond development (was: lilypond - bitcoin donations?)
Date: Wed, 06 Nov 2013 02:37:38 +0100

Scott Miller <address@hidden> writes:

> Does the lilypond project accept bitcoin donations?

The project as such does not currently take donations.  Recently there
has been a bit of pickup from people offering to solve specific tasks in
exchange for monetary appreciation (I'd hesitate to call the sums in
question "compensation"): if you have something particular you want
done, try posting an offer here.  Of course, you are quite likely to
meet helpful advice anyway, but if you like showing appreciation in that
manner, I see nothing wrong with it.

I guess I am the largest _unspecific_ money sink for LilyPond myself as
I'm doing general purpose programming and basic project mismanagement on
"community pay": a number of contributors keep me afloat while I spend
my working hours on improving LilyPond without a particular agenda (I'm
bad at working according to any plan, and it's not like there is a
shortage of work).  That has worked more or less throughout the entire
2.18 development cycle and one will see how much longer it will last:
embarassingly much hinges on too few too large donors.

Which reminds me that the current numbers make it necessary to step up
the begging somewhat in order to keep operations sustainable, so I'll
append the last report (actually, the October numbers are not yet
available in report form, but are a definite drop-off).

I don't have a bitcoin wallet: what would be involved?

Being paid by the community for LilyPond work helps me shoulder a lot of
work regarding LilyPond and also makes it possible to do some larger
tasks time and again.  But the majority of work is still being done by
volunteers in their free time.  And the most foolproof way to get more
work done is by doing it yourself: there are a number of areas short of
volunteers.

All the best

--
David Kastrup