Lua/LaTeX assistance (was: On creating "title pages" and the like)

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Lua/LaTeX assistance (was: On creating "title pages" and the like)
Date: Wed, 06 Nov 2013 09:34:54 +0100

Am 06.11.2013 07:05, schrieb Joshua Nichols:
I guess in the end I didn't understand anything at all, and my hard head saw LaTeX and didn't see "preprocessed with lilypond-book."

Maybe this is a good opportunity to hook in.
If there is anybody out there experienced with LaTeX and Lua I'd be glad he/she would get in touch with me.

I have written a LaTeX package 'musicexamples' (http://www.openlilylib.org/musicexamples) which is currently useful but not spectacularly unique. I'm using it for managing music examples in my LaTeX documents. It's on my agenda however to extend this package through Lua (although the new functionality would of course be restricted to LuaLaTeX) in order to accept embedded LilyPond code like lilypond-book does. It's not the explicit intention to make a verbatim copy of lilypond-book, but moving the functionality _inside_ the LaTeX compilation process would offer at least the following fixes for problems that have so far led me not to use lilypond-book:

- You can compile the document at any time directly, no need for preprocessing and intermediate .tex files - You don't have to chose between cluttering your working directory with intermediate files
  or causing relative-path problems by using the -out option
- You have reliable access to the _currently effective_ text width, e.g. in multicolumn context

I know that even without any prior Lua experience I would be able to dive into that and somehow manage to come up with something. But collaborating with someone who already knows the field would dramatically raise the probability this will become reality ...

Best
Urs