Re: modular "markup" and arguments

From: Paul Morris
Subject: Re: modular "markup" and arguments
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2013 21:31:27 -0800 (PST)

Bric wrote
> So, can one throw in conditionals?
>
> (1) Can one, for instance, check/manifest the pitch and duration of
> '#the-music'  ?  And based on those values are, write something or not?
>
> (2) And how DOES one write something extra?  For example, add a note, or
> add a \markup (again, conditionally, perhaps).  I tried adding variants
> of the following...

Check out these snippets:
http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=82
http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=83

They show examples of how to add things to the music (on the input side)
using scheme.  Doing it conditionally would then be the next step.

> (3) Is "#the-music" an object, with properties and stuff, and how does
> one access/modify those properties?

This should help with this:
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.16/Documentation/extending/displaying-music-expressions

I haven't done much with adding things to the music on the input side like
you are wanting.  I have mostly customized what's output by conditionally
modifying grob properties.  These are two different sides or angles...

For example, NoteHead.color is a grob property and you could conditionally
change it based on a note's pitch using scheme, for example:
http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=572

But that's different than conditionally adding new items, like text
(markup).

HTH,
-Paul