Re: modular "markup" and arguments

From: Bric
Subject: Re: modular "markup" and arguments
Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2013 06:41:58 -0500

On 11/07/2013 05:57 AM, David Kastrup wrote:
Bric <address@hidden> writes:

So, obviously, just to add a "^markup" to the music function is not
trivial.  I'm gathering that (text) markup belongs to an "event
function", rather than a "music function", and the two can't be
integrated ... although, that doesn't sound likely, off the top of my
head, given the power and flexibility of this environment.
Markups can't be added to general music expressions (what would
<< c1 \\ d2 >>^"hi" even mean?).  But in this case you can just attach
it to an empty chord starting with the music expression, like
<>^"markup text  #the-music  ...

Fascinating! That worked. When I add your empty chord structure, I get one single insertion of the markup, per single invocation of the function (even though it gets applied to multiple notes). (If the "<>^\markup..." comes before #the-music, it's on the first note of the set of notes; if after, it follows the set of notes).

So... this is all quite amazing and powerful. But the interplay between the multiplicity of notes, and the singularity of "\markup" is something to finesse further.

Because, what I am observing sort of defies my earlier idea of conditionally checking every note, its properties, and, based on a boolean, inserting or not inserting a markup. If the markup is inserted only once per invocation of the function, then what I was thinking would be impossible. But, i would guess, there's some way to do multiple insertions of markup, per function instantiation.

thanks.