Horizontally-Centered Stems for re, mi, and ti

From: Jason R . Fruit
Subject: Horizontally-Centered Stems for re, mi, and ti
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2013 20:49:32 +0000 (UTC)

I was looking at Jesse Aiken's _Christian Minstrel_, the original source of
Aiken-style shape note heads, and I saw that he centers the noteheads on the
stems for the symmetrical shapes, i.e. re, mi, and ti.  I think it improves
the recognizability of the shapes, and I'd like to do it in my shape-note
music.  I can't figure out how to make it happen only on those scale
degrees, though, other than to do like this:

\version "2.14.2"

\relative c' {
  \aikenHeads
  \once \override NoteHead #'stem-attachment = #'(0 . 0) d
  \once \override NoteHead #'stem-attachment = #'(0 . 0) e
  f g a
  \once \override NoteHead #'stem-attachment = #'(0 . 0) b
  c \bar "|."
}

What I'd like to be able to do is:

\relative c' {
  \aikenHeads
  \centerReMiTi
  c d e f g a b c
}

Is there an example of scale-degree-sensitive code I can look at?  I can't
seem to find where aikenHeads is defined.

Jason