Re: Syntax error

From: Colin Campbell
Subject: Re: Syntax error
Date: Fri, 08 Nov 2013 19:11:06 -0700

On 11/08/2013 12:37 PM, address@hidden wrote:
Hi,

I seem to keep getting a syntax error, and I don't know why can someone help please??

The error I keep getting is:

# -*-compilation-*-
Processing `C:/Users/staff/Desktop/first try.ly'
Parsing...
C:/Users/staff/Desktop/first try.ly:37:1: error: syntax error, unexpected >>
}

fatal error: failed files: "C:\\Users\\staff\\Desktop\\first try.ly"

Can someone please help?

First, the error message shows you where it began to go wrong. "Unexpected . . . " anything, in LilyPond terms, usually means you haven't paired your curly braces properly, and yes, that is most of your problem. Another thing which will give you problems is that ties only join notes of equal pitch; you need slurs to connect d to c.

More generally, when faced with this sort of issue, your first steps would be to start eliminating things until the problem goes away, then take a hard look at the last thing you cut. Having trimmed the code to the bare minimum which produces the problem, you are much more likely to get specific help from the community. I'm writing this because my wife wants me to come downstairs and move a couple of filing cabinets for her, in the face of my not inconsiderable reluctance.

Finally, the canned response is a very firm suggestion that you work through the Learning Manual on the LilyPond website, having installed a syntax-highlighting editor beforehand. My favourite is undoubtedly Frescobaldi, but others are available.

Cheers,
Colin
--
Excellent day for putting Slinkies on an escalator.
 - Dan Galvin, TFTD List 20070228