Current Stack Exchange activity (was: Thoughts about creating Stack Exch

From: Peter Bjuhr
Subject: Current Stack Exchange activity (was: Thoughts about creating Stack Exchange page?)
Date: Sat, 09 Nov 2013 11:13:43 +0100

On 11/02/2013 10:28 AM, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
If it's community policy or at least a general agreement that we
should always refer to this list, I will of course do so the next
time!
Yes, please do so.

But I hope we agree that it, as Ryan wrote, would be helpful for the
community if we found ways to deal with questions posted outside of
this list!?
If you mean with `deal' to forward stuff to the mailing list, or to
direct users to the list, this is fully OK.

     Werner

I posted an answer on the meta question referring to this list as agreed. Hopefully that could attract some users to post their questions here.

But it will not be as easy I think to also attract those who are already actively using Stack Exchange for their LilyPond questions. It could even be counter-productive to constantly and repeatedly refer to the mailing list, as that would more likely repel more than attract.

So, as I see it apart from occasional reminders of the list we could only choose between these two alternatives:

1. Ignore the activity and let them use Stack Exchange if they like.
2. Take an active part and report to the list any valuable questions and solutions.

As may be implied I would prefer the second alternative. But as before I'll accept the policy agreed upon here!

I would also like to say that I otherwise support Janeks view that we should have our own Stack Exchange site in the future but the time has not come for this just yet.

Best
Peter