Re: Odd \time and \appoggiatura interaction

From: pls
Subject: Re: Odd \time and \appoggiatura interaction
Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2013 21:38:33 +0100

On 09.11.2013, at 21:06, Frederick Bartlett <address@hidden> wrote:

Urs,

Thanks for that; I have been putting spacers everywhere. But now I have a new problem: My wife just asked me (she's the musician, I'm just the engraver) to transpose the piece up a half step. So, I put a \transpose c des {} around every voice and changed the \key in my \global to des\major.
Frederick,

Don't change the key to des\major. \transpose c des {} will do it for you.

Now, in my first bar (which has an appoggiatura), the key signature shows up on the third beat (literally 'on': it's superimposed over the notes), even though I have the spacers everywhere. This snippet shows most of the problems, though not the superimposition, and the key signature comes after the appoggiatura instead of on the third beat of the measure:

\version "2.16"

\book {
\score {
\new Staff = "treble" <<
\new Voice = "treble1" <<
\key des\major
\time 4/4
\transpose c des { \relative c''' {
<< { \appoggiatura { g16 ([a] } g2 g ) } \\ { \appoggiatura { s8 } e2 e} >> |
}}

\layout {

There is no need for temporary polyphony here. This solution is easier:

\version "2.16"

\book {
  \score {
    \new Staff = "treble" <<
      \new Voice = "treble1" <<
        \transpose c des {
          \key c\major
          \time 4/4
          \relative c''' {
            \slurUp
            \appoggiatura { g16 ([a] } <e g>2 <e g> ) } |%1
          }

    \layout {

hth
patrick
While the snippet shows the problem it doesn't show the rather uninformative message I get when engraving the larger piece:
Preprocessing graphical objects...
programming error: Object is not a markup.
continuing, cross fingers
I guess I should look up debugging options ....

Thanks again,
Fred