Re: still no ultimate way to create three-staff piano layout

From: Eluze
Subject: Re: still no ultimate way to create three-staff piano layout
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2013 07:12:56 -0800 (PST)

karol wrote
> The question is: what if three-staff piano is part of orchestra? In
> orchestral score, when piano is "tacet", the whole PianoStaff should be
> removed from the page.
>
> Adding \RemoveEmptyStaves to every Staff is a bad idea, because when the
> "right" staff has some nmusic and the "left" staff is empty - only the
> "right" will be shown (And I want the "left" to be shown also!)
>
> \score {
>   \new PianoStaff \with {
>     \remove "Keep_alive_together_engraver"
>   } <<
>     \new Staff = "right" \with { \RemoveEmptyStaves } \right
>     \new Staff = "left" \with { \RemoveEmptyStaves } \left
>     \new Staff = "leftExtra" \with { \RemoveEmptyStaves \override
> VerticalAxisGroup.remove-first = ##t } \leftExtra
>   >>
> }
>
> So, is there any way to create such layout? Maybe it's possible to:
> 1) remove single Staff from PianoStaff without removing
> "Keep_alive_together_engraver"?
> 2) make "Keep_alive_together_engraver" to keep alive only two highest
> Staves in PianoStaff?

I think you can group or nest these contexts, eg.

  \new StaffGroup \with { } <<
    \new PianoStaff <<
      \new Staff = "A" \A
      \new Staff = "B" \B

    \new Staff = "C" \C  \with { }

and then (with \removeEmpty... specified) will always keep together but
staff C can be removed if it doesn't play.

maybe you have to construct an example to see how this works

hth
Eluze