Re: Automated custom clef settings for custom staves

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Automated custom clef settings for custom staves
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2013 21:25:27 +0100

Paul Morris <address@hidden> writes:

> Currently you have to make changes in the music (the content) for
> custom clefs to work, whether that's defining a new clef with a
> non-standard name,

A definition of a new clef will usually occur outside of the music.

> or manually setting the middleCPosition and clefPosition with each
> clef change, optionally using tags to be able to strip out the custom
> parts in order to use the music with a standard staff.

Sorry, I can't even make sense from what you write.

> The custom "clef" music function at the top of this thread makes this
> separation of content and presentation possible when it comes to
> clefs.

I don't see that it does anything like that.  It makes some clefs behave
in surprising/unconsistent manner.

> But it does require that you use only one type of staff in any given
> file.  So that's quite good, at any rate, for such marginal use cases
> as these.

We have a number of clefs (like soprano, tenor, alto clef) that have
different positions and shifts.  It is no problem defining any such
thing.

I don't understand the problem.  I have no clue what you are trying to
achieve and why.  You want some clefs to print different clefs than
asked for when in a different staff.  Why?

How is that a useful feature?  If you want a different clef, why should
it be named the same?

--
David Kastrup