Re: Bar numbers position

From: Gilberto Agostinho
Subject: Re: Bar numbers position
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2013 04:05:57 -0800 (PST)

Peter Bjuhr wrote
> There's no scan this time. What she writes is this:
>
>> Place bar numbers at the beginning of each system, ideally above the
>> clef of the top stave.
>
> Naturally she wouldn't approve of a solution where the bar numbers could
> be confused with clef transposition.

Hi Peter, thanks for the information (and for all scans/quotes from Gould).
I agree that she would not approve a solution that confuses with clef
transposition, but above the clef of the top stave is not what LilyPond is
doing, is it?

Look at the solution that the Sibelius software uses:

<http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/file/n153706/sibelius.png>

IMO, there is no confusion between what is a bar number and what is a
transposition. And its solution respects what 99% of all other scores and
engravers do (at least, I could still not find a single example of
LilyPond's style of bar numbering anywhere else).

Take care!
Gilberto