Re: Beam positions and time signature spacing

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Beam positions and time signature spacing
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2013 09:12:42 -0500

> In 19th century song notation (e.g. look at all old Peters editions of
> Schubert/Schumann etc. songs) slurs were used to indicate melismas - but they
> were usually used _in combination_ with beams.

It’s not just "19th century notation": it persisted as the standard in operas
and musicals written/engraved well into the second half of the 20th Century.
And — unimaginably — there are still people in our 21st Century worlds who
still swear [strongly] by it, and consciously use it in their own
writing/engraving.

> I have come to _very much_ disagree to this _very common_ practice. Apart
> from being redundant this is "evil" because I have to tell virtually any
> singer (of any level) that these slurs do _not_ have any articulatory
> meaning. It's very hard to convince them on the intellectual level and even
> harder making them _really_ ignore them.

Worse than “redundant”, it’s counterproductive and an impediment to
sightsinging and proper phrasing.
“Evil” does really come closest to describing it.

Of the many nuances of music engraving, this is the only one for which I have a
really tall soapbox.  =)

Cheers,
Kieren.