Re: Preventing tempo marks stacking (redux)

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: Preventing tempo marks stacking (redux)
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2013 18:40:58 +0100

2013/11/11 Keith OHara <address@hidden>:
> On Mon, 11 Nov 2013 06:42:53 -0800, Kieren MacMillan
> <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>>> I can never remember the overrides, so I defined the set to space marks
>>> as
>>>  \markLengthOn
>>> and got it into LilyPond versions 2.17.19 and later.
>>

>> Is there some good reason why this is not the default, with \markLengthOff
>> as the “tweak”?
>>

> Probably it could be, but when a user reported that an empty tempo mark in
> his score affected page breaking (but not final layout) I got conservative.
> See the tortuous history at
>  <http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=3279>
>

>>> For reasons I could never figure out
>>>  <http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=684>
>>> MetronomeMark uses a different interface than the rehearsal marks and bar
>>> numbers.
>>

>> I’ve asked Janek if he might consider this as a sponsored fix.  =)
>

> Good.  It might best be done by reading the request of an earlier sponsored
> fix (issue 684) and checking if everything requested for MetronomeMark could
> be handled by the documented 'break-align' interface that RehearsalMark uses
> (with different default settings, of course). By my reading, the old
> interface will be fine; Daniel Rosen's request on this thread would be
> handled by putting 'staff-bar' on the list of preferred alignment points for
> tempo marks.  The special-case handling of measures with any full-measure
> rest (in any Voice in any Staff) seems to have been based on
> misunderstandings.

I'll try looking into it, but i first have to finish some other things
(for example the series of blog posts analysing LilyPond performance
http://lilypondblog.org/2013/11/oskar-fried-engraving-challenges/).  I
haven't played with these settings before, so it's not somthing i
could attempt to solve right away.

best,
Janek