Re: Beam positions and time signature spacing

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Beam positions and time signature spacing
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2013 21:05:40 +0100

Gilberto Agostinho <address@hidden> writes:

> Regardless of that, I really hope I didn't gave the impression I want
> to force people to change certain things on LilyPond only because of
> what I think.

Why would you want them to do anything other than what you think?

> I already exposed my thoughts, and that is all. People are invited to
> discuss, agree or disagree with me, and I am happy with any of
> those. In this particular subject, my views seem to be part of a
> minority here, which is totally fair.

This characterization is _not_ fair.  What I have pointed out to you to
your considerable indignation is that agreeing on something, either more
or less or strongly, does not get the job done.

It would be different if this list was read by a host of coders who are
just bored and waiting for suggestions what to do with their time.

That is not the case.  Any task getting done needs someone postponing
other tasks he himself is working on or interested in.  So by far the
most successful way for getting anything done is doing as much of it by
oneself as one can.  That may include shepherding the discussion and
boiling it down to identifiable issues that can be brought to a
conclusion sufficient for the bug squad to pick out concrete issues for
the issue tracker.

> So I will happily leave things as they are and continue to simply use
> my tweaks and overrides as I usually do.

See, and that's where things get strange: you claim to use tweaks and
overrides to get particular behavior, but you don't share them as part
of getting the weight lifted and making people see how to go about the
change.  They may be a bad idea, but they are at least a starting point.
It's much easier mentally to tell somebody how he could do something
better than it is to write stuff up from scratch.

--
David Kastrup