Re: Beam positions and time signature spacing

From: Gilberto Agostinho
Subject: Re: Beam positions and time signature spacing
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2013 12:41:09 -0800 (PST)

David Kastrup wrote
> Gilberto Agostinho <

> gilbertohasnofb@

> > writes:
>> Regardless of that, I really hope I didn't gave the impression I want
>> to force people to change certain things on LilyPond only because of
>> what I think.
> Why would you want them to do anything other than what you think?

You seem to have a problem to grasp the difference between these two
concepts:
a) to force people to do something
b) to explain your point of view, so that people might agree with you in
order to do something

What I meant is: yes, I would love that every one in this planet would agree
with me all the time, but in case they don't, I am really not the kind of
person who would put a gun on their faces and say "do it anyway".

David Kastrup wrote
>> I already exposed my thoughts, and that is all. People are invited to
>> discuss, agree or disagree with me, and I am happy with any of
>> those. In this particular subject, my views seem to be part of a
>> minority here, which is totally fair.
>
> This characterization is _not_ fair.  What I have pointed out to you to
> your considerable indignation is that agreeing on something, either more
> or less or strongly, does not get the job done.
>
> It would be different if this list was read by a host of coders who are
> just bored and waiting for suggestions what to do with their time.
>
> That is not the case.  Any task getting done needs someone postponing
> other tasks he himself is working on or interested in.

So maybe it is better if I don't propose anything any more so I don't delay
any of the other tasks? Or should I myself measure what the developers
consider important or not? How does this work, David?

David Kastrup wrote
> So by far the
> most successful way for getting anything done is doing as much of it by
> oneself as one can.

What if the most one can do by himself is to point out the supposed problem
(in the case of non programmers)? I can code a simple function at LilyPond
at most, nothing fancier than that. And yet, I thought that I could bring
some interesting points due to being occupied with classical music full time
.

David Kastrup wrote
> That may include shepherding the discussion and
> boiling it down to identifiable issues that can be brought to a
> conclusion sufficient for the bug squad to pick out concrete issues for
> the issue tracker.

And isn't this what I constantly try to do here? I propose a discussion, and
then there are two possible outcomes:
- A lot of people agree and a new post is added on the issue tracker
- Very few people or no one agrees, in which case the post is left
forgotten.

What seems to be the problem with this particular post here? What did I do
differently than the other ones?

David Kastrup wrote
>> So I will happily leave things as they are and continue to simply use
>> my tweaks and overrides as I usually do.
>
> See, and that's where things get strange: you claim to use tweaks and
> overrides to get particular behavior, but you don't share them as part
> of getting the weight lifted and making people see how to go about the
> change.  They may be a bad idea, but they are at least a starting point.
> It's much easier mentally to tell somebody how he could do something
> better than it is to write stuff up from scratch.

There is nothing "strange" here, David. Everything I did is clearly stated
all over the place:

- About the beams, I posted a file named beam.ly and an image named beam.png
in the first message of this post. There you will see how I tweak the beams
to get what I want
- About the spacing, as I stated before on the message you "claim" to have
read, "I am no programmer on this level and on this particular case I do not
know how to improve it. ". On top of that, in the first message of this
post, I added the files spacing.ly and spacing.png. These two are not
solutions because they are silly (I just manually moved the grobs around),
but it illustrates clearly what I think would be best.
- In the "sister" post about bar numbers, I posted my tweaks in an image
bar_no.png. Nobody seemed interested in that, but if anyone wants, I am
happy to share my code.

So tell me please what is still """strange""" here?