lilypond 2.16.2 failing to install on ubuntu 12.10

From: JordanB .
Subject: lilypond 2.16.2 failing to install on ubuntu 12.10
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2013 02:11:47 +0000 (UTC)

I would appreciate any help in this matter:

I was able to download lilypond, and ran sh lilypond-2.16.2-OS-TYPE.sh in
the shell. The bin directory was created, and and the 12 shell script files
(lilypond, lilypond-wrapper, etc.). That's it, however. How do I run
lilypond from this point? Am I missing something obvious? I'm kind of a
newbie to linux, so I wouldn't be surprised if I was.
Thanks!

Jordan