Re: Blues/jazz/rubato tempo markings in printed scores

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Blues/jazz/rubato tempo markings in printed scores
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2013 21:12:26 +0100

"Joel C. Salomon" <address@hidden> writes:

> Searching the archives, I found the thread “jazz quantization of
> eighths for MIDI”
> <http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnu.lilypond.devel/17489>, linking
> to <http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=687>, all
> relating to adjusting MIDI output.
>
> Is there a way to *print* a tempo marking for such a rhythm, though?
> One score I’ve seen uses a tempo marking that looks like this:
>
>                 ⌐3¬
> Blues feel (♫ = ♩ ♪)

Man, you got your utf-8 pat.

> I was thinking to adapt the technique from
> <http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=574>, but the \note command seems
> to support neither beamed notes nor tuplets.  Is there something in
> the manual that will make the answer obvious once I understand it, or
> is this something difficult to achieve?

You could try starting with something like

% Blues feel (♫ = ♩ ♪)

\new Staff {
  \tempo \markup { Blues feel
                   \concat { (
                     \score {
                       \new RhythmicStaff
                       \with { \override StaffSymbol.line-count = 0
                               \omit TimeSignature }
                       { c8 c8 \stopStaff s4-\markup = \startStaff
                         \tuplet 3/2 { c4 c8 } }
                       \layout { indent = 0
                               }
                     } ) } }
  c'8 c'8 c'8 c'8 c'8 c'8 c'8 c'8 }

and then get spacing and scaling under control.

--
David Kastrup