Re: Broken brackets for annotations

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Broken brackets for annotations
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2013 12:17:09 +0100

Marc Hohl <address@hidden> writes:

> Am 14.11.2013 09:50, schrieb David Kastrup:
>> Marc Hohl <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> Here is what I coded:
>>
>> Not really.  You are mixing note languages in here; this would never
>> have worked.  Please test your examples before posting.
>>
>>> Now the last f,, should be marked with a broken bracket to be connected
>>> with the first fis,, linke in the attached picture (which is done with
>>> Gimp).
>>>
>>> How can I achieve that without having to use Gimp, inkscape or similar
>>> external tools?
>>
>> Ligatures?  Seems like the tool to use here.
>
> Thanks, that works better, but there is no way to code broken
> ligatures out-of-the-box, as shown in the picture.

Ah, I misunderstood your problem: you want a ligature broken "al
niente": one that basically comes from nowhere, and one that breaks into
nowhere.

That would seem like a functionality that might generally be nice to
have with spanners.  I think this is partly issue 1698
<URL:http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=1698> and the
underlying discussion, particularly the \broken suggestion.  The
discussion also is a reminder that we were talking seriously about a
stable 2.18 release in March, with decisions and discussions affecting
development.

We have November now, so it's clear that the processes and decisions we
made were not based on a good estimate of reality, and I am probably the
one most responsible for that.  We'll probably need to split branches
earlier in the process, but I don't really see that we have the
resources to maintain two split branches over a longer period of time.

Sigh.

--
David Kastrup