Re: Gmail and quotes

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Gmail and quotes
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2013 14:18:17 +0100

Janek Warchoł <address@hidden> writes:

> What we actually want here on lilypond mailing lists is not literally
> bottom-posting, but inline-replying:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style#Interleaved_style (yes,
> some people indeed use "bottom posting" to refer to "inline replying",
> but this is ambiguous and therefore not helpful. I'm looking at you,
> David).

Are you able to point out an actual instance where I would have been
talking about "bottom posting"?

> * Top-posting may be good when one is replying with some general
> thoughts, which are only loosely related to the previous message(s).

In that case there is no point in quoting the previous message at all.

> In other words, one can use top-posting whenever the reader doesn't
> have to know what was in the previous message; the quote serves just
> as an appendix "for the curious".

The "References:" header is this appendix.  The mail or news reader can
get at previous messages using that.  It's called "threading".

--
David Kastrup