Re: Learn from Finale 2014 (seriously)?

From: Joseph Rushton Wakeling
Subject: Re: Learn from Finale 2014 (seriously)?
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2013 16:19:35 +0100

On 14/11/13 15:05, Jan-Peter Voigt wrote:
there is an update of this snippet in the mail archives and I will post
my version later.

Fantastic, thank you! :-)

You're right, but I would take this as a proposal to add this as a
standard command to lily.

Yes, I agree. In fact for optimal usability, I think it should be an on-by-default feature, as the most likely use-case for voices sharing a staff is for the rests to be combined where possible.

One can always compare, who does it best. But IMO the metric of doing it
good,better,best is not a one-dimensional one.

Oh, sure. It's just that I get uncomfortable whenever I see people respond to news of a good feature in another piece of software with remarks along the lines of, "Hey, but we do [other feature] better" or "Hey, you can already do that by [complicated method that's much harder than the other software]".

I think that it's always very important to try and understand why people see value in other software, and what things it provides that one's own tools don't.