Re: How to structure piano music?

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: How to structure piano music?
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2013 21:28:29 +0100

Am 16.11.2013 20:33, schrieb Noeck:
Hi,

I am trying to engrave small pieces for piano and I realize how
difficult that can be. What should be my approach?

The example is meant to be one staff of a piano staff group
(PianoStaff). I don't want to have any shifts for notes played at the
same time. The voices should combine to chords (as it is in the last
measure).

I tried 4 possibilities (shown in four measures):
1) << {} {} {} >> : default way to stack music
2) \voiceOne|Three|Two : mark them as voices to avoid collisions
3) \voiceOne|Four|Two : just a variant of 2)
4) version 1) with manual setting of stem and slur directions

1) to 3) are not what I want. 4) looks ok, but is that really the way to
go? Do I really have to set all directions of stems, slurs,
articulations, etc. manually? Or is there a way to automatically combine
voices to chords for piano, such that they split when necessary like on
the first beat and that they form chords wherever possible like
during the remainder of the example measure?

Cheers,
Joram

It's not completely clear from your example how the logical structure of the music is. Do you actually have independent voices that you just want to appear as chords? Or do you basically have chorded music that sometimes happens to split into different voices (actually the example looks like this).?

If the latter is the case you should enter it as one voice and only split it temporarily where necessary. Use the << { } \new Voice { } >> construct, then the first voice will be the same as the surrounding music, which is necessary to continue the slur in your example.

If the first is the case you'd have to make all \voiceOne and change (all voices) to \voiceTwo if you want the stem downwards. Use the override I sent earlier to avoid the huge number of warnings.

HTH
Urs