Re: notation rule question

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: notation rule question
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2013 23:27:13 +0100

Am 17.11.2013 22:39, schrieb Karol Majewski:
Hi,

I have question that is not related directly to lilypond. It refers to notation
rules. How to divide a long note that starts at first half-beat in 4/4:

r8 c8 ~ c2.

or

r8 c4. ~ c2

?

If both are OK, then which one do you prefer? I couldn't find such rhythm in
hand engraved scores. Perhaps I should look at music written in 19th century
and later, but I simply have no time.

Karol

I agree with the others that by default you would separate the 4/4-measure in the middle. But you can't give an authoritative answer to your question without the concrete musical context.

If the hypothetical full orchestra would play

r4 c2.\ff

your four trumpets would of course play

r8 c8 c2.

Urs