Re: Lyrics not starting on 1st bar of music

From: ayutheos
Subject: Re: Lyrics not starting on 1st bar of music
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2013 11:27:30 +0800

Thank you all for all the replies!

I used the voices method and it worked perfectly. My song is now
structured as http://pastebin.com/0wsFibyx.

I was previously using ABC notation for writing out single staff
musics. I changed to Lilypond because ABC does not support lyrics in
Asian text. Admittedly ABC is much easier to read and learn, plus it
intergrates well with Dokuwiki which I use, but after spending a few
days reading up Lilypond docs and actually producing a page of music
engraved in Lilypond, it was so satisfying to see the beautifully
engraved music (and with lyrics in chinese too!).

Learning Lilypond is like learning a new programming language, there's
a lot of syntaxes to learn. The manual is very comprehensive and well
written, except that I did find it confusing that it has a lot of
sections to it (...doc/v2.16/Documentation/notation,
...doc/v2.16/Documentation/learning) i.e. a subject appearing in
different 'version' of the manual.

I found out that it's easier to write out music in Lilypond by
outlining the overall structure of my music (as given in Jim's reply
above) using simple bits of notes, testing out the structure then
'fleshing' it out adding other bits and pieces.

There's still so much for me to learn (eg. compiling a book of hymns)
but for now I'm satisfied in producing single pages of songs. :)

For long time users of Lilypond, is there a workflow that you use, or
do you use templates when writing/transcribing new music?

Thanks again for the replies and regards,
--
TY